Overview of Zimbabwe
If you are looking to experience the essence of the majestic continent of Africa, then Zimbabwe is the ideal destination you're looking for. From boasting outstanding game viewing with a myriad of species and wildlife that one can think of, untouched gorgeous natural landscapes and national parks, to providing a number of opportunities for indulging in some fun-filled action, all this and a lot more is to be found in Zimbabwe. This spectacular country has become a hot shot destination for tourists around the globe as it is home to four of the world heritage sights and also the breathtaking Victoria Falls, one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Their unique culture, remarkable well preserved historical relics has given Zimbabwe prominence worldwide.
Zimbabwe is a landlocked country that is located in the southern part of Africa in the midst of other renowned African countries, namely, South Africa in the south, Botswana to the southwest, Zambia to the northwest, and Mozambique to the east and north. Each of Zimbabwe's neighboring countries is famous in their own right and therefore offers spectacular opportunity to explore other favorite African destinations.
Zimbabwe's terrain mostly comprises of a high plateau with the center being higher and Witnesses Mountains in the east that is gradually subdued in the west.
Due to Zimbabwe's location between the tropics, the country overall experiences tropical climate. Temperatures are also affected by the altitude, where comparatively cooler temperatures are experienced in the higher altitude areas and gets warmer in the lowlands. These highlands are receiving greater substantial rainfall compared to the lowlands.
Summer Season: (October to April): temperatures can reach up to 30C or a little above 30C.
Rainy Season: (November to March): avoid travelling during this period given the rains can disrupt optimum game viewing.
Winter Season: (April to June)
Dry Season: (June to October) best time to visit Zimbabwe for game viewing.
Cool Season :( May to September) this season is comparatively cooler and may be the ideal time to visit if you're seeking to indulge in game-viewing, given the shortage of rainfall during this time period.
Getting in and around
If your visit is short and less than six months then you'd have to deal with minimum formalities. All nationals are required to own a passport and apply for a visa for entrance. So apply for a visa through an agency prior to travelling. Although some nationalities are exempted from this hassle as they are given a visa when they arrive at the airport and these nations include Botswana, Kenya, South Africa and many more. Transit visas can also be applied for which keep your visit short and up to only 7 days. Nationalities which are not required to obtain a visa must have this one to enter. The expense of visa application keeps on changing hence it is advisable to check with the embassy beforehand.
Harare International Airport is the main airport serving for flights to Zimbabwe; and also domestic as well as international flights. It is the largest airport in Zimbabwe where non-stop flights to and from the UK, Australia and various other countries land and departs. It's at a distance of 12 kilometers from the city for which taxis and coaches are easily available. This is one of the most equipped airports having various facilities such as duty-free, bank, Wi-Fi network service, restaurants, post office, ATMS and various other shops as well.
Travelling between African countries can be made cheap by the accommodating flights provided by the national airline as well as South African Airways. The national carrier: Air Zimbabwe helps you travel within and access various other cities as well such as Kariba, Victoria Falls and Bulawayo. They also follow particular routes such as accessing the Victoria Falls via Livingstone in Zambia.
Zimbabwe is even accessible through road from the surrounding countries although caution should be taken when driving especially during the night. Not only this but you can travel to Zimbabwe on an excellent bus service that would take you from Johannesburg to Harare.
One can be adventurous and take the train to Victoria Falls as well which departs from Bulawayo and crosses various other destinations such as Hwange National Parks that is a must see.
- Egypt Air
- Air France
- Qatar Airways
- Air Botswana
- Kenya Airways
- South African Airways
- British Airways
Almost all these airlines provide flights to Zimbabwe from various destinations around the world.
Travelling within the cities have been made easier by excellent bus service especially the RoadPort in Harare which takes you to Johannesburg, Lusaka, Lilongwe and various other destinations. One can even cruise around in minibus taxis which are inexpensive and safe.
Places to see in Zimbabwe
Following are some of the places you can see on your journey to this spectacular country.
- For all those fascinated by history, tour the Great Zimbabwe Ruins and the Kama Ruins and indulge in a remarkable walk back in time and also get enthralled by the exquisite age-old works of art.
- Visit the Great Zimbabwe National Monument, home to Africa's largest remnants from history.
- Embark upon a sensational journey in the number of Zimbabwe's National Parks, some of which are well-renowned for being the hub of Africa's diverse range of species and unique and captivating wildlife.
- Take a ride down the Mana Pools National Park for one of the smoothest and thrilling rides while observing the unique water borne species. Or simply get enthralled by Africa's wildlife present here.
- Be mesmerized by natures spectacular works of art in the form of huge granite rocks at the Matobo National Park and also displays ancient rock carvings for you to marvel at.
- Walk among Africa's wildlife in one of the biggest parks that displays these animals in their natural habitat at the Hwange National Park.
- Experience the thrill and delight by paying a visit to the huge Victoria Falls, its size unlike any other waterfall in the world!
- Zimbabwe's eastern highlands provide for captivating exquisite beauty that are a must see.
- Visit the man-made Lake Kariba for a quiet time along the beautiful lake.
Things to Do in Zimbabwe
- Embark upon the thrilling and adventurous wildlife safari and game viewing.
- Canoeing Safari.
- Fresh water fishing.
- Boast Cruises and sailing.
- Traditional Vehicle Safari.
- Tiger fishing at the Lake Kariba.
- Trekking and mountain climbing in the eastern highlands.
- Bungee jumping at the Victoria Falls to feel the adrenaline rush.
If you have a knack for good food then head out to one of Zimbabwe's finest restaurants and dine-in luxuriously. The scrumptious food will leave you wanting more. With a range of options to choose from such as:
- Rhodes Nyanga Hotel
- The Boma Restaurant
- The Pink Baobab
- The Victoria Falls Hotel
- Malwatte Restaurant
Zimbabwe is the perfect place for all those who are addicted to good shopping at cheap prices. Visit the numerous lively street markets of Zimbabwe and simply go crazy!
Zimbabwe is not just the hub of outstanding safaris and historical excursions, but also boasts a vibrant and high-spirited nightlife that will leave you exhilarated. You will find clubs and pubs that are up to the mark with the western standards while at the same time reflectingthe perfect ambiance of the African culture.
- Make sure your passport is at least valid for the next six months after you land in Zimbabwe.
- The banks are open throughout the week except Sundays.
- the political instability is quite unpredictable because of which tourists should be very careful
- Do not speak out your political opinions openly as the local people might get offended
- Clapping twice means you're thankful.
- Avoid deserted areas
- Dual nationals are fined
- Keep your money safe at all times
- Stay at a safe distance from the animals when visiting the zoos
- Do not wear flashy jewelry.
Best Time to Travel
The dry season is the time when most tourists are in a hurry to visit Zimbabwe and with good reason. This is because it is the easiest and most comfortably reached from all over the world. April being the best time to visit.